Thursday, May 31, 2007

Zippered Tote Bag

I have always been intimidated by zippers. Since most of the dresses I made for my daughter were smocked/heirloom type dresses I didn't have to worry about them. I always used buttons or fancy pins for closure. It took me awhile to do the wristlets because it meant I had to put in the much dreaded zippers. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad and I was able to use the technique I used to line the dresses without any seams showing. Purses are another story though. They are more complicated because of the several layers I have to deal with. I was asked to make a Debbie bag in the Miami print but a Weekender size and zipper closure. It is going to be a birthday present for a friend who adores flamingos (she already got the Debbie bag in the flamingo print). I have searched the net for a tutorial and there are plenty of them but I ended up doing it my way. I am actually proud of it and might add a zippered handbag soon. I received an email from the recepient and she was happy with it!
I made a complete set just in case she wanted matching accessories. She ended up getting the wristlet.

Side View

Top view. I like this kind of zipper closure--it has a "lip". If it doesn't it looks weird to me especially if the handbag is boxed. It tends to look out of proportion because the top is a lot narrower than the bottom.

No comments: