Friday, July 18, 2008

Tadpoles!! Day 1

I was pulling out weeds yesterday morning when I noticed some black wiggly things in our water fountain. Upon closer inspection I realized they were tadpoles and lots of them! I didn't notice any eggs in there (they look like tapioca suspended in sticky white froth). My daughter freaked out though--can you imagine how many frogs will there be? It is a treat to me though. We used to have a couple of doves lay eggs in the Spring. They loved one of our orchids pots hanging up front. One time they never came back but the eggs hatched. We had to call animal control so they can remove the poor chicks in there.

Anyway back to the tadpoles. In 4th grade we had a large aquarium where we had to observe how the eggs evolve into tadpoles and then to frogs. It was so much fun watching them hatch, see the tadpoles slowly lose their tails to be replaced by legs. We had so much fun. My question is do I leave them alone or put something to feed them? Any feedback would be wonderful. I will keep you posted.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

They're going to need something to eat but no idea what. I suggest "googling" about it. It might even be best to transfer them to a local pond or creek. Good luck.

Caryn said...

Hi! I did a little googling and found that they like goldfish flakes. Have fun!

Debbie said...

I am actually getting excited about this. I have been researching the net and I have also gotten some personal emails about some suggestions. I will make a flyer today and post it around my area-- I would never have thought about that one Evie. We also have a lake behind the house I could put some in there, I think.